Fool's Gold French Toast
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium Golden Delicious apples, cored and diced
- 2 medium Bartlett pears, cored and diced
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt to taste
- 8 thick slices raisin bread
- optional: whipped cream
- Combine apple cider, vinegar, and brown sugar in a saucepan and simmer on medium-high heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally until reduced to 2 tablespoons (about 15-20 minutes). Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a saute pan on medium. Add apples, pears, and vanilla bean and cook 3-4 minutes until softened. Scrape tiny seeds from vanilla bean into fruit mixture and discard bean pod. Stir in reduced cider mixture and let cool. Add eggs, milk, and nutmeg to your Whiskware Egg Mixer and whisk together. Season with salt and transfer to a shallow dish. Melt remaining teaspoon butter on skillet over medium heat. Soak both sides of bread slices in egg mixture and cook until lightly browned (about 2-3 min per side. Serve topped with fruit compote and optional whipped cream.
WHIP THIS UP WHEN: You want to serve a fancy, fruity French toast recipe that proves you're no fool. DON'T FORGET: The Whiskware Egg Mixer whips up perfectly frothy eggs in a flash, and features a built-in egg cracker, a removable egg separator, and minimal mess.